Bacon And Soy

33% of the work week: Done. That feels good. Now it’s just the other 66% to get through, and that last bit of Latin translation :-\ For the 2nd semester in a row, I chanced into the class which is translating one of the raunchiest texts possible. This semester it’s Petronius’ Satyricon. I’ll let you in on any of the gems of entertainment that come up in class; so far I’ve heard my professor say the word “grind” well more than I ever wanted to hear. Enough said!

Steamed Broccoli, The Heat Is On Tofu Salad, Scrambled Eggs

Lunch was a lot of protein, fats, and broccoli–a perfect makeup for a meal in my opinion. First, I simply scrambled 2 eggs. I can’t believe how long it’s been since I’ve enjoyed these on a regular basis; eating them reminds me of meals at my grandmother’s house. I’m determined to become “the perfect egg-cooker” even if I have to go through a few dozen–hens beware! I also used up the last of a block of tofu(about 1.5 servings) by simply shredding it with a fork and adding 1 tablespoon The Heat Is On pb & co. peanut butter; if you like pad thai, this could well be up your alley. And it’s so simple, you can make it in seconds!

Multi-Green Kombucha

On the side I had more greens, via Kombucha! The multi-green was the first flavor I tried for review for the company(the gingerades I’ve drunk have been with my own money). Again, wow! I 1/2 expected not to like this, but was pleasantly surprised that I did. The bitterness of the greens actually complimented the vinegar of the kombucha. And, yes! Kombucha should absolutely taste vinegary! I got a commenter that sounded concerned that hers did at first taste, but that’s actually the natural fermented flavor. And it’s completely understandable that for some people it wouldn’t be seen as “pleasant”, haha ;-) And if you thought a green, fermented beverage would be the oddest thing I’d eat…

Sir Francis Bacon's Bacon Peanut Brittle

…think again. I first heard about the Sir Francis Bacon company through The National Peanut Board. Really, how could I not be intrigued. I’ve actually made yogurt and oatmeal messes with peanut butter and tempeh bacon in the past, so the flavor combo wasn’t all too random for me. This was, though:

Agave Soy Yogurt With Bacon Peanut Brittle

That would be certified vegan soy yogurt topped with bacon peanut brittle. And you know what? Holy yum! The brittle had a great hickory smoked aroma to it, which made the bacon and peanuts only that much more appetizing. And it was choc-full of them, too! With the sweet soy yogurt, it all just “worked” even though it sounds like I’ve just made the founder of PETA roll over in his/her grave(or bed if they’re still alive). If you’re not a fan of savory peanuts, this probably won’t convert you. But if you are(or just a bit wacky in life), this should definitely be a something-to-try :-)

Compared to that, my afternoon has been a) unexciting and b) busy. If it were one or the other, that might be nice. But nope. Both. Among heavy blogreading, I came across this map of interest. I live in a light green area; what about you? I would have thought Florida would be darker. I remember getting sooo many McFlurries on vacation there as a kid. Anyway, for dinner I had planned to have a burger. Something about the bacon in the peanut brittle–as much as I enjoyed it–turned me off meat for the night. If you’re an occassional meat eater, you probably know what I mean. That left dinner wide open.

Baked And Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Maple Baked Tofu With Sea Salt

Here comes the sun, doo do do doo. Of course, I went for instant comfort foods of mine: maple baked tofu and sweet potato fries. Well, sort of. The sweet potatoes under my bed grew mold over the weekend, so these were baked at the dining hall, and then I tried roasting them in EVOO for a bit to crisp up but they didn’t take. And because I was pressed on time figuratively, the tofu was never literally pressed, which would have helped them roast better and lose moisture while retaining maple-flavor. I just added a spike of maple syrup at the end and voila!

For some reason, I’ve been thinking it’s Thursday all day. Wishful thinking, right? That means no Survivor :-( But there should be American Idol and The Olympics! Gotta look at the bright side(or the sun! ^)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No Responses to “Bacon And Soy”

1. Madeline - Greens and Jeans 16. Feb, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

Your dinner is so pretty! I am definitely intrigued by your bacon peanut yogurt! I might have to give that combo a try some day…

2. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) 16. Feb, 2010 at 10:21 pm #

Bacon PB. Yuck. I have to say, I just hate hate hate the smell of bacon. I last ate bacon when i was 7 and so that’s about 25 yrs ago and if i never eat it again, i will die happy LOL So you can hoard that stash all you want :)

Sugar challenge? Oh I think i probably could use one, but I would never do it LOL

And the raw cocoa coconut oil bar production line has been in full operation in this kitch at 1:37 am, 2:14 am, etc…It’s been fun!

3. eatingmachine 16. Feb, 2010 at 10:24 pm #

haha bacon peanut brittle sounds awesome! , in a weird weird way

4. eatmovelove 16. Feb, 2010 at 10:29 pm #

WISH it were Thursday soooo bad. Love Survivor.

American Idol’s not too bad. I love Ellen on it, you can tell she’s actually serious about her job and smart. But still herself :)

5. Matt 16. Feb, 2010 at 11:31 pm #

Haha PB and bacon actually sound pretty tasty together.

6. Lily @ Lily's Health Pad 17. Feb, 2010 at 12:54 am #

Multi green is my fave kombucha flavor!! LOVE it.

7. ashley 17. Feb, 2010 at 1:51 am #

Hey, I just finished reading Petronius’ Satyricon (in English though!). I loved it! Very funny and a bit vulgar ;-) .

8. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce 17. Feb, 2010 at 2:02 am #

how do you manage to fill your yogurt with such yummy things without it spilling over? i lack talent in that department, i need a bib when i add stuff to a container!

9. foodfitnessandfreya 17. Feb, 2010 at 4:00 am #

PB and tofu, genius!
    Loovvee your sweet potoato dish at the end – flavours and presentation look beautiful :D

10. kristin pizzi 17. Feb, 2010 at 6:09 am #

bacon peanut brittle?? very interesting!

11. Chelsea Ward 17. Feb, 2010 at 7:57 am #

Bacon peanut brittle actually sounds really good. I could see those flavors combining pretty nicely. Your dinner of sweet potatoes and tofu looks delicious! I’m curious, since you live in a dorm…do you have a mini-fridge in your room? How do you store your perishables? Is cooking a hassle with a communal kitchen?

My fridge is 3 feet tall and it is usually FULL. I wish I could get something bigger but that wouldn’t even be legal, haha. The kitchen is only a hassle in that it’s 3 floors below me but besides that it’s workable. There’s also a full fridge and freezer there which is where I keep my ice cream

12. Anna 17. Feb, 2010 at 8:54 am #

I’ve been thinking it’s Thursday too!!! Wah!

I love the multi-greens Kombucha, but I agree– the first sip is kind of scary! :-)

13. Gabriela (froyolover) 17. Feb, 2010 at 10:05 am #

WOW…
    How funny it is to have Bacon PB with yogurt?
    I hope it was goood ;)
    Loved all your eats!
    And congrats on yout work progress!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

14. Kelly 17. Feb, 2010 at 10:42 am #

That is an interesting map…I am in a light green area but lord knows my state needs HELP (Texas)!

15. MelissaNibbles 17. Feb, 2010 at 11:00 am #

Confession: One of my favorite snacks is those Morningstar Farms fake bacon things smothered with peanut butter. I’d probably love that brittle.

That sounds good to me! I also like to top a spicy veggie breakfast sausage with red chile peanut butter and maybe throw an egg in there somewhere.

16. Ashlei 17. Feb, 2010 at 11:04 am #

I’m surprised FL isn’t darker green also, especially in the touristy areas (beach, Orlando/Kissimee, etc.)

17. joy 17. Feb, 2010 at 11:21 am #

I keep grabbing the Kombucha’s at WF and then putting it down for some reason they scare me…

18. Ashlei 17. Feb, 2010 at 11:22 am #

FYI, Leslie Loves Veggies is having a Lightlife giveaway – thought you’d like to know (if you don’t already!) ;)

19. eaternotarunner 17. Feb, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

Sweet potatoes, tofu and kombucha, all of my favorite things! Your posts always make me hungry…

20. lindsey 17. Feb, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

ahh i wish i could like kombucha, but i have always found vinegar REPULSIVE. so i guess we just won’t work out ;)

thanks for letting me know though!

♥ lindsey

21. Lauren 19. Feb, 2010 at 5:41 pm #

Glad you liked the Bacon Brittle, Evan. Excellent idea combining tofu and the Heat is On!