3 Days, A Lot Of Numbers, And Nutritional Yeast Facts

I don’t really believe in “food ruts”; if you want to eat the same thing a lot in a short amount of time, be my guest. In fact, sometimes it’s less wasteful to be that way. That being said, I’ve been surprising even myself with the repetitiveness of my eats.

Red Delicious Apple

This as the 4th of 5th apples I’ve eaten since Tuesday. Me. And they were all from the dining hall and tasted amazing. Go figure. I swear–I’ve eaten less than 5 apples in a month before; I’m really on a kick for them I guess. Should I just make this apple crisp and eat 1/2 the pan?… again? Of course, you can eat as much as you want whenever it’s vegan, right? O:-)

Grass-Fed Burger With Ketchup And Sweet Potato Home Fries Over Spinach

Lunch time rolled around(to be eaten in Greek History class) and what did I have on hand? Beef and sweet potatoes, of course! I really couldn’t care less that I also ate this for Tuesday and Wednesday dinner seeing as how I can’t eat meat on Fridays. To make it a little different, I microwaved the cubed tomatoes and then finished them off in the rendered beef fat, and served it over spinach(which makes the whole dish healthy). For those of you keeping track, that would be 12oz grass-fed beef and 2 medium-large sweet potatoes in 72 hours. I don’t think I’ve gotten this much beta-carotene since I drank carrot juice every morning or ate this much meat since… ever.

Missing Water Bottle

Genius here forgot his water bottle in Greek History class and didn’t realize it until being in Latin class. I would have thought I’d have gone parched and been ripping through my snack stash during that class but the lunch held me over really well. And when I walked back to my previous class(in the rain), someone had moved the water bottle front and center. Perfect.

Coconut Oil Chocolate

You know it’s love when the first thing you do when you walk in the door is break out a food scale and some coconut oil to make coconut oil chocolate so it has enough time to set before you eat it. Or is that addiction/obsession? What do I care–Hollywood hasn’t known the difference in 50 years. Another ingredient: Cocoa powder.

53 grams of cocoa powder is how much I’ve used in since Tuesday. Not how much I’ve eaten, because there’s been more in the form of nut butters and store bought chocolate, but just the amount I’ve personally used in making things. Chocolate has antioxidants, right? How ironic that I’ve always looked at the pound bag of cocoa powders and thought “Gosh, it must take someone a long time to go through those!”

Red Delicious Apple

I told you that was the 4th of 5 apples I ate this morning. This was the 5th. It was between this or a 100-cal pack of cookies. I think I made the nutritious choice, don’t you? Apples seem to be my go-to when there’s a meal right around the corner. And what a meal it was…

Stir-Fried Tempeh With Vanilla Agave And Toasted Coconut Over Steamed Broccoli

Something new! If you’d have asked me at 2pm what was for dinner, I would have smacked you because I had no clue. Then I remembered I has a log of tempeh to use up. I really hate hate hate plain tempeh in comparison to tofu, so I’m not sure why I bought this. At the same time, this dish worked perfectly. I loved the nuttiness of tempeh with the nuttiness of the the toasted coconut. And the agave was a perfect “dressing” but I added sea salt because I’m so not used to sweet dinners. I think what surprised me the most was how much sesame oil the tempeh absorbed so quickly 8-| Ignorance is the best way to enjoy Asian foods ;-)

I was surprised(but happy) to hear that there were so many questions surround nutritional yeast after my breakfast post. I answered in the comments there but I thought I’d readress it here for anyone wondering. Gina also blogged about it here.

What is it? Inactive, fortified yeast. Per 2 tablespoons(14g), it has 8g of protein and 6g of fiber. It’s a complete protein and loaded with the B vitamins, as well as being a 1-ingredient vegan food

How does it taste? It’s very savory and has a cheesy mouth-feel. Similarly, it’s very salty and briny, especially with a little salt added. It’s very much like a more savory parmigiana.

Where do you get it? I get all of mine from bulk bins, which is often cheaper but also let’s you get just how much you want, so you can just get a little to see if you like it or not.

How would I use it? You can use it anywhere you might otherwise want something “cheesy”. It’s often put on top of spaghetti squash with a tomato sauce. You might have seen me eat it on pumpkin oatmeal with smart balance peanut butter, but that’s a little “out there” admittedly and something only I do(that I know of). It reminds me of Lance peanut butter filled cheddar crackers :-)

Which foods have you been all over as of late, Have you tried nutritional yeast, and Heroes or Villains? You can ask me anymore questions you’d like, but don’t expect a response while Survivor’s on :-)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “3 Days, A Lot Of Numbers, And Nutritional Yeast Facts”

1. kbwood 25. Feb, 2010 at 8:29 pm #

you are SO lucky that your dining hall has great apples! mine were soft..yuckk.. BUT i did steal a banana everday..and you cant really mess up a naner unless you beat it around

2. Meredith 25. Feb, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

lately I’ve been all over some purely decadent “ice cream” (thanks to you) and sweet potatoes (typical of me). and hot fruit. and tj’s dark chocolate edamame.

3. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce 25. Feb, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

people always give me shit for eating the same thigns over and over on my blog, but you’re right, it’s so much less wasteful and since i cook and eat for one (i’m not preggos!) there is incentive to eat the same thing often in a short period. no shame!

4. actorsdiet 25. Feb, 2010 at 9:21 pm #

i could eat apples all day too! they are often my go-to snack as well, b/c they keep so well in the fridge i always have ‘em around.

5. Gabriela (froyolover) 25. Feb, 2010 at 9:28 pm #

I´m with you!
    For the right of repeating food and eating how many apples we want! :D
    Go, girl!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

6. Anna 25. Feb, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

Thanks for posting about nutritional yeast…I love it, but I’ve always been a little murky on the “nutritional” part of it :-)

7. Emily 25. Feb, 2010 at 10:04 pm #

Your dinner looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it. I’m a huge tempeh fan. :)

8. eatmovelove 25. Feb, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

Never tried the yeast….I just go for the cheese ;) …and Survivor is starting to get on my nerves…it’s getting so “ugly” already…what’s up with James? Gosh. And Randy was such a sore sport there @ the end…

9. marathonmaiden 25. Feb, 2010 at 10:23 pm #

i totally am a repetitive eater. but hey, it’s not like i’m eating stuff that i don’t like :)

10. Matt 25. Feb, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

I have never tried nutritional yeast but now I am intrigued. I will look for it when I go to WF tomorrow.

11. Madeline - Greens and Jeans 25. Feb, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

I remember the dining hall having rockin apples in the fall when they would get them from local farmers, but they definitely sucked the big one the rest of the year.

12. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) 25. Feb, 2010 at 10:51 pm #

nooch nooch. I just posted a huge can of it today as you saw. I love that you tackled the questions. I get asked so many all the time by my readers, too.

Enjoy Survivor!!

13. Errign 25. Feb, 2010 at 11:00 pm #

I keep meaning to pick some nutritional yeast up – I have a friend who has ALWAYS eaten in on popcorn but I never connected what it was until it starting popping up in the blog world.

14. Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) 26. Feb, 2010 at 8:48 am #

I’ve never tried nutritional yeast but definitely want to! :D

Oh, and I agree…the apple was the smartest choice. ;)

15. Kelly 26. Feb, 2010 at 9:48 am #

I do have a question…is it gluten free? I know you try to eat GF….

It is! It’s actually one ingredient: deactivated yeast. And since gluten in breads comes from the grain(wheat, barley, and rye I believe) and not the yeast itself, it’s perfectly gluten-free

16. caronae 26. Feb, 2010 at 11:51 am #

I go through apples reaaalllllyyyy fast too. They’re pretty cheap at the farmer’s market. I’m not a huge red delicious fan — I recommend gala, honey crisp,sun crisp, mutsu. There are endless varieties!

17. Anna 26. Feb, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

Congrats on that awesome run!

18. Nicole 26. Feb, 2010 at 5:43 pm #

I guess I should’ve posted this on your most recent blog post, but nutritional yeast in oats? :-/ I can’t knock it til I’ve tried it but nutritional yeast tastes like cheese to me, so I put it on pasta dishes and casseroles : )