Updates, Updates, And More Updates

Because I know you all were worried sick about every little detail of my life, here’s an update on all of them. No, really.

Green Apple

Green Apple

Update on apples: I really don’t like green ones. They taste sour and yucky :-( It’s also all the dining hall has. BUT they now have fair trade and organic bananas! Sure, they won’t stop bragging about them, but I think it’s still a win.

Ants

Ants

Update on our kitchen: I was spoiled at home. I had a nice, big, working stainless steel kitchen. Now the stove I usually use doesn’t work anymore, and the other kitchen in this building has a major ant problem; ain’t that cheery? That’s what I had to be creeped out by while cooking.

Update on the computer: We(my dad and I) assume it shuts itself off from overheating. After meals and meals, there’s probably way too much salt, coffee grounds, and other food particles trapped in the vent :-( I took it to the service desk, and they wanted to hold on to it from 1-7 days. I couldn’t make that kind of commitment so I kept it.

Update on Betty White: I love her. Her SNL appearance will be in May, and I might even stay up past my bedtime to see it live(Shh, don’t tell anyone). Betty White fans? I’m guessing yes.

Burger Salad With Grass-Fed Beef, Sweet Potato Hash, Spinach, Nutritional Yeast, Ketchup And Sea Salt

Update on ketchup: It’s a vegetable. Period. If french fries can be called a vegetable in schools, so can ketchup. Oh, and this was really tasty. I might have overcooked the burger(odd, because all I wanted to do was get away from the ants), but the sweet potato with nutritional yeast made up for that. And ketchup. Lots and lots of ketchup.

Update on midterms: I got 2 midterms back today. I did really well on the one I expected to do poorly on and not so well on the one I thought was a breeze. Isn’t that the way life goes?

Raspberry Chocolove Dark Chocolate, Raspberry Rush Kombucha

Raspberry Chocolove Dark Chocolate, Raspberry Rush Kombucha

Raspberry Rush Kombucha

Raspberry Rush Kombucha

Update on my diet: *Note: I’m using the word “diet” here as in “food intake” and not “weight loss eating”; the latter is not a concern of mine* I did some thinking last night in bed(usually, this turns out as bad as doing thinking while visiting WebMD and looking up random symptoms I think I have). I used to aim for 2 sources of probiotics a day; this always made things feel more “regular”. At some point, I stopped caring simply because I was addicted to yogurt and frozen yogurt and never had a problem with getting those 2 or more. Recently, I fell out of that habit. But I want to get back into it! So hopefully I will be with help from Chobani, So Delicious, and kombucha. I also realized I had no dark chocolate yesterday; an ounce of dark chocolate has been shown to be incredibly delicious reduce your chance of stroke and ease stress levels. I want to also aim for at least 1 ounce of dark chocolate a day. I think I had enough Chocolove for today and yesterday here :-) Lastly(bear with me; I want a lot because I’m a needy person), I still want to incorporate more raw foods with living enzymes into my diet, for similar reasons as the yogurt. While I wait and train to become a better raw (un)cook, fruit and vegetables like the banana and 2 apples I’ve had so far seem like the easier way to incorporate this.

Nut Cheese

Nut Cheese

Update on my nut cheese: It smells like a funky funky monkey, but still tastes a hell of a lot like cashew butter from the sample I had. I’ll give it until tomorrow morning and then move it to the fridge.

Green Apple

Green Apple

Update on these apples: Nope, not growing on me. But filling!

Grass-Fed Burger, Roasted Sweet Potato With Sea Salt And Cinnamon, Garlic Broccoli

Update on repetetive eating: It’s gotten worse. We all know bloggers love to eat the same things, but really? All I was craving for dinner was a sweet potato and burger. If it’s any consolation, I only bought 3/4 lb of meat, so I won’t be eating many more unless I get to a Whole Foods one of these days. OH! New sales tomorrow! That just made my evening :-D

Broken Knife

Broken Knife

Update on my life: Today officially could not get any weirder. At this point, I’m just telling myself tomorrow will be better.

Update on the essay draft I have due tomorrow: I haven’t written anything, or even finished the book. Update me on your life and g’night!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

No Responses to “Updates, Updates, And More Updates”

1. Jenny 06. Apr, 2010 at 7:23 pm #

Can I just tell you that the salt on that burger looks amazing?!? Wow. All of a sudden I want a bite, and that’s huge!

2. Madeline - Greens and Jeans 06. Apr, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

How did you break that knife my friend?!

I honestly don’t know. I took it out to cut the sweet potato and it just collapsed in my hand. I’ve broken them before stirring nut butter, but this was just weird

3. jenny (green food diaries) 06. Apr, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

I wholeheartedly know the feeling one gets when a paper is due tomorrow and haven’t started… I have one due in two days :S

Kudos to you for always taking your probiotics. I think this is a new goal of mine. BTW, garlic with broccoli sounds fantastic. I think i might have to make something like it.

4. eatmovelove 06. Apr, 2010 at 9:22 pm #

Do you watch how much red meat you eat? I love the burgers! And, gross to ants – ugh worst part about dorms…do you have to cook in their kitchen and then walk to your room??!!!
    And that chocolate habit shouldn’t be too hard!! Haha – I definitely get more than my quota…not a good thing …:(

lowandbhold Reply:

Haha, I love the updates! I don’t like green apples either, unless they’re baked in something. And Betty White rocks! Definitely worth staying up late for :)

5. Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) 06. Apr, 2010 at 9:51 pm #

Ketchup is definitely a vegetable :-) I love it on anything and everything!

And yay, probiotics. Reason #56784 why I love yogurt and Kombucha.

6. Claire 06. Apr, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

Wow. I fear the day when I break my knife, because it’s the only one I have that actually cuts through things…

As far as updates go, I have eaten far too much candy today. Too, too much. And that was a needless piece of info, haha.

7. Lauren 06. Apr, 2010 at 10:46 pm #

I LOVE green apples and never ever understand how people hate them. But to each their own!

I also love Betty White- Golden Girls? Boston Legal? Anyone? She’s awesome.

I’m also a repetitive boring eater. But I do my best.

Thnx for the updates, and good night!

8. emily 06. Apr, 2010 at 11:09 pm #

should i try kombucha? i’m a little afraid of it. i really hate tea so if it tastes too tea-y i will probably not enjoy it, but i love vinegary stuff so if that’s the overwhelming flavor, it might have potential…what’s a good flavor to try first?

It definitely doesn’t taste like tea. And any of the flavors with ginger are among my favorite

9. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) 06. Apr, 2010 at 11:11 pm #

OMG I feel like the WORST repetitive eater. I feel like I post the same things over and over. But that’s what i eat. Plants. That are raw. The only thing that varies is the dressing or two. And that’s it! That’s where the desserts at least keep it interesting :)

Sorry you’ve been having ‘puter issues, that totally sucks, they are the WORST!

and also tummy issues. GEt off a little of that yogurt (b.c all the probiotics in the world cannot counteract the glommmy mucus forming nature of dairy) and take oral probiotic pills, sans dairy. My .02 that i gave you unsolicited, which of course, i hate people like me :)

happy nite, Evan! :)

10. Megan (from Happily Healthy) 07. Apr, 2010 at 12:06 am #

I hate green apples too!!! My favourite is Red Delicious! I made the mistake the other day of buying some gross spartan apples that had about 1/2 inch think wax barrier on them. And a lot of them were bruised! Thank god I went to Cosco today to stock up on some more Red Delicious!

11. nellatight 07. Apr, 2010 at 1:13 am #

Hi! I’m a frequent reader/lurker.
    So, since reading your blogs, I’ve integrated several new eats into my life, e.g. Kombucha, SoDelicious ice cream w/ coconut milk, dark chocolate. And wow, now I know why you rave about them so much! I just bought some coconut milk kefir that I can’t wait to try.

And agreed, green apples are no fun.

- Nell

12. Anna 07. Apr, 2010 at 6:58 am #

I want to go on the kombucha/dark chocolate diet!! :-)

13. Chelsea Ward 07. Apr, 2010 at 7:02 am #

Nutritional yeast on sweet potatoes! Yes!

Both your selections in Kombucha and dark chocolate flavors are excellent. I love how there are just chunks of raspberries in the bar.

Hope your life is a pleasant shade of normal today! Weirdness can be great, it just depends.

14. Errign 07. Apr, 2010 at 7:15 am #

I am a huge chocolove fan, but I have bought it in forever because I have too many chocolate samples I need to go through. My favorite flavors have been cherry & almond dark and cherry & chili dark. While I love milk chocolate, I eat it WAY too fast.

Sorry to hear your computer is still acting up – good luck getting it repaired! I loved your WebMD comment, I have a love/hate relationship with that site, because I love to self-diagnose, but I hate thinking I have cancer once a week, haha.

15. Matt 07. Apr, 2010 at 7:30 am #

Dude I just ate a burger the other night and now I want another one. You are killing me!

16. Kelly 07. Apr, 2010 at 8:18 am #

I totally agree that green apples just don’t work! I like pink ladies…I am kinda of weirdly picky about my apples though!

17. Joanna Sutter 07. Apr, 2010 at 8:45 am #

I love Betty White and I hate ants. I also love the way you eat. Just sayin.

18. Lauren @ Eater not a runner 07. Apr, 2010 at 10:39 am #

I hate green apples but love Betty White…so we are in agreement :-)

19. foodcents 07. Apr, 2010 at 5:25 pm #

Sweet Betty White, she is everythig that is right on the world.

I had a similiar problem with my computer, a few weeks back. I won’t organic sugar coat it, I ended up buying a new one. Hope you have better luck than me.

BE WELL!!!!

20. BroccoliHut 07. Apr, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

HUGE Betty White fan here–Golden Girls was an essential part of my adolescence.