Picture It: Javaberry

Food holds memories. Those make the dishes ten times better and ten times tastier. And yet it’s hard to know on a blog just what someone is thinking when they put flavors together unless they’re willing to share it all. That’s why I’m starting a new category of posts, ala Sophia Petrillo, called “Picture It”s.

Picture it: Prom night Junior year. After the prom, I end up at a friends house for an after party with 40 or so friends. There’s an open fire, cookies, chips, s’mores, everything legal(yeah, yeah. We weren’t a very troublesome crowd, but something tells me that’s a good thing). I didn’t even plan to stay the whole night, but by 1am I was convinced by my good friend and hostess. After too many games of midnight Hide N’ Seek(who does this?!), I crashed sometime around 5am in front of Bend It Like Beckham. The next day, still in a cookie coma, no one cared for a very nutritious breakfast, if it’s even breakfast at 11:30. Instead, we took a very short walk to Dairy Joy.

Of course, when there’s an ice cream shop virtually in someone’s front yard, you have to throw yourself at their mercy and get what they suggest. The “favorite flavor” couldn’t have sounded weirder: Javaberry. A blend of raspberry and coffee ice creams. Really? Could that possible be good? No. It was fantastic. What a random but delectable combination, one that I had never had again, until today.

Black Raspberry And Coffee Frozen Yogurts

Black Raspberry And Coffee Frozen Yogurts

That would be Elan’s decaf cappuccino frozen yogurt and Sweet Scoops‘ black raspberry frozen yogurt. Again, the combination was eerily magnificent. How could these two flavors work? They just do. And when I had the Sweet Scoops‘ black raspberry the first time, I thought it wasn’t sweet enough. I take that back. This was perfectly fruity and sweet. But I did more today than just eat ice cream.

Chocolove Raspberry Dark Chocolate

Chocolove Raspberry Dark Chocolate

I ate chocolate, too. Right before hitting the gym, I snacked on the last few pieces of a raspberry dark chocolate bar and ran out the door. It’s been rainy/cloudy all weekend, so I stuck with the gym. It turns out I picked a perfect time for television, and I was really able to get into my “groove”.

12 Miles In 1:46:08

12 Miles In 1:46:08

These 12 miles truly felt effortless I could have kept going, if I really had to, which leads me to feel confident for my half-marathon in 2 weeks from tomorrow. And when I was done, I went straight to work on lunch. I was craving chickpeas, so I tossed some with honey, water, and garlic and tossed them in an oven to roast at 425 while I showered. My lunch ended up having 3 forms of chickpeas. Obsession?

Roasted Garlic Chickpeas And Garlic Over Greens

Roasted Garlic Chickpeas And Garlic Over Greens

Steamed Broccoli With Garlic, Hummus Chips With Hummus

Steamed Broccoli With Garlic, Hummus Chips With Hummus

My breath was not pretty after this meal, but I loved it nonetheless. On the salad was just the roasted chickpeas given a little flavor with garlic and honey, as well as some roasted garlic from the cafeteria. I steamed some broccoli and added ground garlic, and had “hummus chips” with hummus. The chips are made completely with garbanzo bean flour and baked with garlic and olive oil. Like I said, I think I was having a flavor obsession.

In between lunch and dinner was when I had the Javaberry creation. I also did some work and made an impulse online purchase. Aren’t those fun? I’ll be sure to share on that in a little time…

Cheese Burger, Roasted And Grilled Sweet Potato With Tumeric, Cinnamon, And Sea Salt

I basically kept putting off finding a way to not have to cook so long that I needed to cook. I tossed a sweet potato in the oven for 90 minutes and made a cheeseburger with some questionably old meat :-/ And I love roasted potatoes; nothing says “home” and “comfort” like a roasted sweet potato. But they are wholly unfilling. I topped mine with turmeric and cinnamon for powerful antioxidants.

Hidden Ketchup

Hidden Ketchup

Whenever my grandmother made me a cheeseburger, she put the ketchup on top of the burger and then the cheese while it was still cooking so the ketchup got a chance to heat up while the cheese melted. I always thought that was smart, and tasty ;-) Speaking of grandparents and parents, I loved Heather’s post today on just enjoying a day with her mom, and I’d like to wish Matt and his wife a huge congratulations for the birth of their baby!

I think after all that cheese and frozen yogurt, dairy has been capped for the day. Thank God for dark chocolate :-D In the meantime, here’s a giveaway for Tropical Tradition’s shredded coconut! Yum.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

No Responses to “Picture It: Javaberry”

1. kbwood 17. Apr, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

yummmm whats is tumeric?!?!

My knowledge may just be a briefing from Wikipedia, but it’s a spice related to ginger that has a somewhat-spicy flavor to it. It’s used in a lot of curries and Indian dishes. It’s said to have a lot of medicinal qualities. It’s also just used as a natural food colorant to make things yellow sometimes.

2. tropicaleats 17. Apr, 2010 at 7:24 pm #

That’s an awesome idea to add ketchup before the cheese on your burger! i love random things like that. can’t wait to see what this online impulse buy was :) have a great night!

3. Ashlei 17. Apr, 2010 at 7:46 pm #

Garlic breath is totally worth it!

4. eatmovelove 17. Apr, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

Evan, I really admire your running ability and the fact you are taking on racing. Inspirational. And I LOVE that you eat chocolate! I definitely outdo you in that department though…and ice cream too…funny story too!
    Oh – I LOVE the Golden Girls – my all time fave show for sure :)

5. runnerforever 17. Apr, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

I would say chickpeas are a healthy thing to have an obsession with so no worries there. :-)

6. Veronica (lifewithnature) 17. Apr, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

Black raspberry and coffe? Who knew! I should experiment and see if that combinantion gives something interesting in another kind of dessert… Funny that you talk about coffee ice cream sine I just posted a little something on the health benefits (and risks) associated with coffee!

Are your hummus chips home made or store bought?

Oh they’re totally store bought. I don’t even really like the name “hummus chips” for them because they’re really just chips made with chickpea flour and seasoning. Here’s the brand’s site: http://www.plockys.com/

7. Becky 17. Apr, 2010 at 8:24 pm #

Hi Evan, I went to Brown (graduated 06.5) and want to email you about something I think you’d be interested in there, but can’t read your email on your homepage. Any chance you could post it, or shoot me an email that I can respond to? Thanks!

8. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) 17. Apr, 2010 at 11:41 pm #

Roasted And Grilled Sweet Potato With Tumeric, Cinnamon, And Sea Salt
    That looks soo good!

And the spring fever from the last post. Yes. I have it. honestly I wanna unplug so much and just be outdoors all the time.

your note to katie, what is turmeric.
    it’s highly anti inflammatory and super medicinal. For injuries, healing, etc it’s wonder. As is ginger. And both can be used very liberally, like 2-4 tsp per day for medicinal purposes.

and turmer is great for easter egg dying, the natural way. no yellow #5 needed :)

9. Anna 18. Apr, 2010 at 8:15 am #

lol– sounds like prom alright :-)

10. Matt 18. Apr, 2010 at 8:57 am #

Great idea with the burger! I am trying that tonight!

11. marathonmaiden 18. Apr, 2010 at 9:01 am #

you are within walking distance of dairy joy!?!?!?! lucky!

12. Heather Eats Almond Butter 18. Apr, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Thanks for the shout-out! :) I used to love the Golden Girls, and I love the idea of “Picture Its” So fun.

I don’t think the idea of berry and coffee ice-cream together sounds weird at all. In fact, I think it would be delicious. I’m hoping that Turtle Mountain will come out with a coffee flavored coconut milk ice-cream soon. That would make me so happy.

Two more things: I must find chickpea chips! Where did you purchase them, and your grandmother was brilliant. I’m so trying her ketchup trick next time I make cheeseburgers for CD!

The brand is Plocky. They have a retailers list here. Fortunately, I was able to find them at a campus convenience store of mine, and I’m not sure if I’ve even seen them at a regular grocery store.

13. Kelly 18. Apr, 2010 at 9:41 am #

Your high school after prom party sounds about like mine! There is DEFINITELY something to be said for not being troublemakers! :)

14. Morgan 18. Apr, 2010 at 11:05 am #

DAIRY JOY! We discovered that by accident on our way to Walden Pond (we used to swim across and back once in awhile) and always went whenever my friend or I were in a crummy mood (when they were open). I miss that place!

15. caronae 18. Apr, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

Javaberry sounds like a yummy combination! I’ll have to try it someday :)

Is it weird that while I absolutely love hummus, I hate plain chickpeas??? I have never been able to figure this out…

They can be pretty different in my experience. I actually used to hate hummus and love chickpeas, until I realized what I really hated was hummus made with tahini. Now I just get mine without that and I’m a lot happier

16. Astra Libris 18. Apr, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

I loved this beautiful story about food memories! Yay for the new PictureIt posts! I’m eagerly awaiting the next one! :-)

17. BroccoliHut 18. Apr, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Hallelujah for a fellow Golden Girls fan–just watched a few episodes last night:)